Different Types of Traffic
Did you know that there is more than one type of web traffic? And not all types of web traffic are the same. Most amateurs may believe that there is only one type of traffic but this could not be more wrong. And while you might feel very happy when you see a large number of visits to your site, you will have to learn to study the numbers more carefully if you want to know what's really going on. This is one of the major reasons why it is so important for you to use analytics software like Google Analytics on your website. Now let me explain the 5 types of traffic there are out there:-
1. Social traffic This traffic can basically be generated with the help of other sites like Facebook, Twitter, Digg and StumbleUpon. This traffic can also be generated through video websites or any type of sharing website which you can consider to be a part of social media. These websites let you get new visitors for your website and also make it easier for them to share it with their friends, post it on other websites and link back to your pages from a forum. There are two reasons why you would want to link to such websites.
The first reason is because they are ranked very high on Google and are used by millions of people every day. The second one is that you will be able to benefit from thousands of hits when someone reports your pages on one of these sites. That is also why it is so important for you to use catchy titles for your pages and posts.
2. Paid traffic This is basically the traffic that you pay for. You can do this with the help of paid ads via Google AdWords or other similar services. There are even websites which offer to buy traffic for a certain amount of money. I would strongly suggest that you approach such sites with due diligence as they tend to send bots instead of real people to your site which is of no real use to you. This may have a negative effect on your websites ranking and may even result in you being kicked out of search engine results.
3. Word of mouth This kind of traffic can be gotten from either webmasters, etc. that link your website to their blogs or websites or from your family and friends who spread the word about your website. You can also attain such traffic by telling people you meet about your website.
4. Search traffic This is the traffic which you will get through search engines when someone searches for a particular keyword and clicks on your webpage through the results. This is considered the best type of traffic.
5. Return traffic This could be considered just as good as search traffic. It consists of all the people that return to your website after having viewed it once through one of the above four methods. This type of traffic can also be ascertained from the number of people that subscribe to any newsletters you may have on your website.